Monday 15 April 2024

Walking Woolwich and Eltham in 1948 .... no 1

Now I am back with my copy of the Official Guide to Woolwich which was published by the council.


It includes Eltham and Plumstead, and was the “Fifth Edition”.

I have no idea when it was issued but looking at the images and some of the listings we must be sometime between 1948 and the early years of the next decade.


And over the next two days I shall concentrate on some of the images from the book and leave it at that.


The observant will clock that many of the pictures are attributed to Wells of Woolwich, while in the second post the motorbikes in the picture were for “Export”, which in the cash strapped immediate post war years was a vital way of earning money.

So that is it, and I shall continue till I run out of pictures.



Location; The Metropolitan Borough of Woolwich, circa 1948

Pictures; Well Hall,  from The Metropolitan Borough of Woolwich, circa 1948, and the Woolwich coat of Arms, courtesy of  Gary Luttmanm2021

No comments:

Post a Comment