Wednesday 3 April 2024

That theatre in Woolwich I wished I could have visited ...... the Royal Artillery Theatre

Now I must confess I did not know of the Royal Artillery Theatre which was opposite the Royal Artillery Barracks.

Cinderella, 1949
But as it closed eight years before I began visiting Woolwich I am not surprised that its existence passed me by.

It opened in 1863 as the Royal Artillery Recreation Rooms and was a conversion from a multipurpose hall which underwent further alterations and a name change, and reopened in 1905 after a fire which had destroyed the interior.

It was my old friend Tricia who told me about the theatre and introduced me to its history via that wonderful theatre site, Arthur Lloyd.co.uk which I had completely forgotten about.

The site tells the story of our theatres and music halls over the last few centuries and is well worth a visit.

I consulted it over some of the other theatres in Woolwich and also in Manchester and If memory serves me supplied some information about one of our local play houses.

How to get there, 1949
Now never being one to just reproduce another’s research I will just direct you to the site, leaving you to wander over the old programmes, and marvel at the pictures, and draw your attention to the map from 1949 showing the streets around the theatre and the tram routes.

And that map for me has to be a bonus, given as I was born in that year and have never lost my love of the stately trams.

So thank you Tricia.

Location; Woolwich

Pictures; from for Arthur Lloyd.co.uk

* Arthur Lloyd.co.uk, http://www.arthurlloyd.co.uk/RoyalArtilleryTheatreWoolwich.htm

3 comments:

  1. i can remember going to this theatre with my parents when i was very young to see cinderella

    ReplyDelete
  2. I also saw this Panto age 11.Fell in love with one of the dancers

    ReplyDelete
  3. My parents took me to see The Tinder Box - eyes as big as saucers

    ReplyDelete