Wednesday 10 April 2024

Hair, .....accesories ..... and sunbeds ....... Stevenson's..... and Chorlton's history through its shopping bags

Now generations of people will remember with fondness the hairdressing business of Stevenson.*

J. R. Stevenson, 1910
For many it was where you went to have your hair done, or buy those must have accessories, and of course it provided employment for lots of young people, from those doing Saturday jobs to those training to be "Stylists to the stars".

It is a place I have written about, and its presence here in Chorlotn pretty much spans the last century, first on Barlow Moor Road and then on Wilbraham Road.

My interest was reignited when Annie Keogh offered up this bag from the shop, which is an appropriate image of where we shopped and kicks off a new series on Chorlton's history through its shopping bags. 

 Now that's a zippy title.

Included in the series will be many of businesses which defined Chorlton, from Kingspot and Hanbury's to the big chains like Liptons and Safeway.

And of course I am always open to more contributions.

Hair, cosmetics and fancy goods, date unknown

Location; Chorlton

Pictures; The shopping bag, date unknow, courtesy of Annie Keogh, and advert for J.R.Stevenson’s, 1908 from the Souvenir of the Grand Wesleyan Church Bazaar, 1908, courtesy of Philip Lloyd

*Almost a century of cutting hair on Wilbraham Road with the Stevenson family, https://chorltonhistory.blogspot.com/2020/04/almost-century-of-cutting-hair-on.html

**"Stylist to the Stars" is a lift from Carol Ardern's shop at All Saints who proudly proclaimed its connection to show business in the 1970s.

2 comments:

  1. I had my first "proper" haircut at Stevenson's when I was about seven in the 50s - before then my mum had cut it herself. I can remember feeling very grown-up sitting in the chair with a cape wrapped around me, watching the lady combing and cutting. Unfortunately, I can't remember what it looked like, but my mum was very pleased and admitted that it was much better than she had managed!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank god I saw this photo, Stevensons !! I used to go here as a boy with my Mum, there were 2 chaps cutting, and they had a painted on ‘mouse hole’ just like Tom and Jerry ! One chap would say “you’ve just missed him, keep an eye out” and I’d be glued to watching the mouse hole, whilst of course they would happily snip my hair off . Brilliant memories

    ReplyDelete