Wednesday 1 June 2022

Central Station, a bar called Cox’s and a defeat

Now try as I may I have never been able to get a decent picture of G Mex from Peter Street looking down Mount Street.

And there will be plenty who murmur “and you missed the boat with this one too Andrew”.

Which I accept may be true but at least the image recorded the old Central Station and Cox’s Bar, both of which I remember with affection, although in the case of Central it was as a car park and not a place to catch trains, as it had closed just month before I arrived in the city,

Location; Manchester

Picture; Central Railway Station, 1979, from the collection of Andrew Simpson

5 comments:

  1. I remember drinking outside Cox's Bar in summer of 1983 (when it was allowed). The scenery wasn't good then, a collapsing train station was the view.
    Three years later G-MEX and music!

    ReplyDelete
  2. And then the bar closed Peter .... although I do remember it had an after life as something else

    ReplyDelete
  3. It reverted back The Royal Central and then became Batys bar for a short while.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Cox's Bar was the "annexe" to the YMCA and the YMCA football team could be found most Saturday nights.

    ReplyDelete
  5. And the YMCA rugby team frequented Cox's too if I'm not mistaken! Met there one morning at the start of a very memorable stag do!

    ReplyDelete