Monday 7 November 2022

The lost Eltham & Woolwich pictures ...... no.3 the Pie Shop

A short series on the pictures of Eltham and Woolwich in 1979.


For four decades the pictures I took of Eltham and Woolwich in the mid ‘70’s sat undisturbed in our cellar.  

But all good things eventually come to light.  

They were colour slides which have been transferred electronically.

The quality of the original lighting and the sharpness is sometimes iffy, but they are a record of a lost Eltham and Woolwich.

The Pie Mash and Eel shop was still there in 2009, but had gone by June 2012.

Location; Woolwich

Picture; Woolwich, circa 1976, from the collection of Andrew Simpson

10 comments:

  1. Although I dont remember this Pie Mash & Eel shop I love to see your photos - Thank you

    ReplyDelete
  2. I remember watching the eels get chopped up in the shop window when it was Manze's pie & eel shop ...
    But why have you titled it Number 3 ?? It's 5

    ReplyDelete
  3. Still there as far as I know.

    ReplyDelete
  4. That was in Beresford Square, wasn't it? I can just remember looking through the window at the slithering eels when I was a wee lad. But we never went in and I have never eaten P & M.

    ReplyDelete
  5. It's to Indian shops now has been for about 15 years

    ReplyDelete
  6. Used to collect jam jars and get an old halfpenny each for them at Manzies

    ReplyDelete
  7. I used to work in Dagenham about fifty years ago,went to get fish and chips looked up and the eel heads were lined up on the top was shocked to see the mouths open every now and then

    ReplyDelete