Monday 21 August 2023

Never throw away the negatives ....... part 3 .... The Manchester Ice Palace ..... Derby Street

Now when I stumbled across the negatives of a set of photographs I took in the mid 1980s I was quite pleased with myself.

The former Manchester Ice Palace, 1986
None of the prints of that day have survived, and nor have the research notes, so these half dozen negatives were a find.

I am the first to admit that the quality is iffy and they wouldn’t win the Robert Capa Award for best pictures of 1986 but they were taken as part of a research project in to Jewish Manchester.

That said they are a moment in time, and some of the buildings have now vanished and others look very different.

The former Manchester Ice Palace, 2015
But not so the Manchester Ice Palace on Derby Street which is still there and comparing my picture from 1986 with Andy Robertson’s of 2015 the building is looking better.

Those in the know will recognise this as one of those then and now sets of pictures, which is something I don't normally do and when I do I add a story.

But the Palace has been well written about so I won't this time.
That said I bet there are plenty of people with fond memories of the place.

Location; Manchester

Pictures; Manchester Ice Palace, 1986, from the collection of Andrew Simpson, and in 2015 from the collection of Andy Robertson.

7 comments:

  1. The engineer at the Ice Palace was Lorits Jensen who came from Denmark sometime between 1899 and 1911. He lived on Crumpsall Lane in a house called "Danely". His daughter Inger, was a friend of my mother.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Went past it every day on the way to the Dairy.

    ReplyDelete
  3. in the mid 1950's and early 60's a crowd of us went every Thursday night.It wasa great social place I hired my skates at first. Later bought my own from Alec Watson and Mitchell on Market Street

    ReplyDelete
  4. I had the amazing experience of working at Lanchire Dairies and the Ice Palace was the offices

    ReplyDelete
  5. My father was so proud of that building when he purchased it to expand Lancashire Dairies. He looked after it well. And in turn as his daughter was proud for him and everyone who worked there.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am Margaret Conroy’s sister. She worked at Lancashire Dairies all her working life. Sadly Margaret died in 2018. I came across so many photographs of her happy days at the company when clearing her possessions.

      Delete
    2. Gosh Ibet there are some treasures there amongst the collection

      Delete