Tuesday 12 October 2021

Falling across the Irwell Castle ………….

Now I am not from Salford, and it would be two more years after arrived in Manchester in 1969 that I first crossed the river into Salford.


In my defence back then I was a student, and life pretty much consisted of the route to and from the college, and outside the Oxford Road corridor, and some city centre pubs and record shops that was about it.

But I recognize a former pub when I see one, and Andy’s picture is of the Irwell Castle, which dates back to the 1850’s and opened as the Irwell Inn.

It is located on Great Clowes Street.

At which point I have no intention of appropriating another’s research and so if you want to find out more just follow the link to that excellent site, Manchester Pubs Past  and Present which follow the pub from the middle of the 19th century to its closure in 1992.*


Leaving me to go offer and do my own digging, which so far has offered up that in 1911 it was run by a Mr. James Bradbury.

Watch this spot

Location; Salford

Picture; the Irwell Castle, 2021, from the collection of Andy Robertson

* Irwell Castle, Manchester Pubs Past and Present, http://pubs-of manchester.blogspot.com/search?q=Irwell+Castle

1 comment:

  1. Hello, thanks for sharing the photo. My great grandfather owned the pub for a bit before leaving for Canada.

    ReplyDelete