Wednesday 6 October 2021

On the Trafalgar Road in 1968 …….. Austen’s ….. that record shop and a slew of ancient memories

 This is Trafalgar Road in the spring of 1968.


It was taken by John King, and I am grateful that he has given me permission to use it, because it has set the memories going.

Two years earlier I knew this stretch well because I worked at Austen’s camping shop, which was a job at which  I didn’t crown myself with glory.

But then I was only 16, had big issues with adding up, dispensing the correct change and could never remember which tent was best for a back packing couple.

Even now the smell of canvas, and assorted plastic macs brings back the shop and the summer of 1966 on Trafalgar Road.

The shop has gone, and I think judging by the geography of this bit of the road, it is now an Iceland, but then the building that was the cinema no longer shows films and the old record shop just on from the church offers up all things plumbing instead of all things vinyl.

Not that I suspected any of these haunts of my youth would still exist.


It is after all 55 years since I spent my dinner hours in that record shop, but I still remember the collection of early Bob Dylan LPs I bought there, which are still in the collection.

And when I bring them out flashes of the Trafalgar Road jump back.

All of which will bore some readers, provoke others to bring out their own memories, and yet more to take a wander down Woolwich Road to do their own "then and now" comparisons.

I cant remember when the hospital was opened, but vaguely think it was being built in that summer I sold camping knives, and in turn bought the record Bob Dylan.

Incidentally that LP had been issued four years earlier, cost me £2.99 and reatils now on some sites for £50.


So, all in all nostalgia was a lot cheaper then than now.

Leaving me just to add John’s comment to his picture, “People complain about traffic, but just remember if you are stuck in traffic you are part of the problem.

Ah the golden days of the 60s when traffic jams had not been invented. Think again, Woolwich Road, Greenwich seen in 1968. 

Something had happened in the Blackwall Tunnel, although the second tunnel opened a year earlier the approach road had not been completed.

The vehicles of a couple of old SE London firms can be seen. RACS and soft drinks firm Macintosh.

May 1968”.

To which I will add that L.P. Hartley quote  “The past is a foreign country: they do things differently there,” from his 1953 novel “The Go-Between.”


And as John’s picture shows we did transport, and lorries very differently.

As we did cinemas, and here is the postscript, just a few hours after the original story was published.  Both John and I spent a bit of the morning pondering on that cinema.

I thought it was an ABC but John correctly identified it from an old map as the Granada, which led me to that wonderful site for cinema history which is cinema Treasures, and the entry for the Granada Greenwich at 234 Trafalgar Road.

"It was was opened by film star Gracie Fields on 30th September 1937 with Sabu in 'Elephant Boy' and Brian Donlevy in “Midnight Taxi”. Designed by noted American theatre architect C. Howard Crane, with interior decoration by Theodore Komisarjevsky. 

It had 1,924 seats in stalls and balcony and a rather plain auditorium, quite unlike the style of the opulent Woolwich / Tooting / Clapham Junction Granada Theatre’s. 

It was equipped with a Wurlitzer 3Manual/8Ranks organ which was opened by organist Donald Thorne. The Granada Theatre also had a fully equipped stage".

But if you want more you will have to go to the site and find out for yourself, because I make it a policy of not lifting other people's research.

The added bonus is a picture of the cinema, pretty much as I remember it.

Location; Greenwich

Picture; Trafalgar Road, 1968, from the collection of John King

*cinema Treasures http://cinematreasures.org/theaters/3781

No comments:

Post a Comment