Saturday 25 December 2021

A Walk in Middleton … a story from Andrea

Now this is the Middleton Bandstand which Tony Goulding photographed last week and was featured on the blog.  

Middleton Bandstand, 2021

And today I am back with a story by his friend Andrea who accompanied him on the visit. 

“After having my family tree researched, I found out that my great grandparents were married in Middleton at St Leonards Church so I took a trip to Middleton to take a picture of this church.

I have some very good memories of Middleton as a child, my grandma and grandad lived on Durnford Street just next to the Boars Head public house another long standing piece of history in Middleton.

After getting off the 17 bus from Shudehill to Middleton,I then continued to walk up Long Street, just off Long Street is the Boars Head public house and St Leonards Church 

St Leonard's Church, 2021

The church was up a very steep hill through Jubilee Park where the library is and a very old band stand. 

It was cold and raining but at the top of the hill was St Leonards church, Middleton a church built over 900 years ago. 

The view from the church was breath-taking you feel like you’re on top of the world.

I can’t imagine what type of wedding it would have been between my great grandma and grandad".

Location; Middleton

Pictures; Middleton Bandstand, 2021, from the collection of Tony Goulding, and St Leonards Church, 2021, courtesy of Andrea Martinez

No comments:

Post a Comment