Thursday 2 December 2021

Revisiting Hare Street ……………….

Now I am not one of those that bemoans how places I knew have changed and some cases have changed dramatically.

It is just one of those things that places do change, and that can both mystify and upset those of us who have been away for a long time.

In my case the odd visit to Woolwich over the last few years has taken me a back, as indeed it does whenever I look at Google Street View.

It is less the disappearance of shops I regularly went in, but the wholesale changes to bits of the place, forcing me to “ask a friend” where some pictures from street view are located.

All of which was is a lead into this picture postcard of Hare Street sent to me by Brian Norbury.

I don’t have a date, but I am guessing we are sometime in the 1950s, which may well be contradicted by someone with access to the list of shops along the route or by the age of the cars.

It all looks very different from the scene today, and as I am in Manchester I have used Google to wander up and down admiring the trees, pondering on the success of the traffic schemes, but above all wondering whether the camping shop I briefly worked in during the mid-1960s was on the corner of Mare Street opposite what is now the Waterfront Leisure Centre.

Location; Woolwich

Picture; Hare Street, date unknown, from the collection of Brian Norbury

No comments:

Post a Comment