Saturday, 27 May 2017

Goodbye to Carry on Nurse , choc ices and the back row ..... the Odeon

Now anyone with a nostalgic side should probably look away.

For decades this was the spot of magic nights, a first romantic date and a long love affair with the cinema.

But as Andy Robertson’s pictures show all that is almost gone.

Well actually, sitting in the dark with a Carry on film, a choc ice and those impossibly sweet Kiora orange drinks went a long time ago.

The building has lingered on but is now almost gone.

The boards outside the site announce an office development of “178,000 sq ft of Premium Grade A Office space” and even the imposing facade will vanish.

According to that excellent site Cinema Treasure, “The Paramount Theatre was built in 1930 to the designs of architects Frank T. Verity & Samuel Beverley for the U.K. arm of the American Paramount Theatres chain. 

The Manchester Paramount Theatre was a sumptuous American import.

Verity & Beverley were Paramount Theatre’s chosen architects for their U.K. enterprise — they were also responsible for the Paramount Leeds, Paramount Newcastle-on-Tyne, Paramount Glasgow, Paramount Liverpool, Paramount Birmingham and Paramount, Tottenham Court Road, London. Their architect’s practice continues today as Verity-Beverley.

Originally containing 2,920 seats in orchestra, mezzanine and balcony levels, the Paramount Theatre was the largest of Manchester’s picture palaces to survive as a cinema. 

It opened on 6th October 1930 with Maurice Chevalier in “The Love Parade”, plus a variety show on stage, and it was equipped with a Wurlitzer 4Manual/20Ranks theatre organ. 

The Paramount Theatre also had a cafe for the convenience of its patrons.

In November 1939 the Paramount circuit was obtained by Oscar Deutsch’s chain of Odeon Theatres Ltd. and it was re-named Odeon in April 1940. 

It was twinned in 1973, triplexed in 1979 with a further four screens created in 1992.

The cinema was closed in September 2004 due to competition from the AMC Great Northern 16, which had opened nearby in December 2001. 

In Autumn of 2010, plans were approved by Manchester City Council to demolish the former Paramount/Odeon and redevelop the site for an office building. Preparation for demolition work began in late-June 2013, but demolition work wasn’t commenced until August 2016, and then only a little was done mainly to the interior. Total demolition began in April 2017 and will be completed in June 2017.”*

So for those with a nostalgic disposition you had better look away as Andy’ pictures show the indignity of demolition.

Leaving me to remember standing under those lights and that ceiling.

Location; Manchester

Pictures; the demolition of the Odeon, May 2107, from the collection of Any Robertson

*Cinema Treasures,

1 comment:

  1. Not forgetting Pearl & Dean: