Sunday 11 February 2018

The Clayton Hall stories ...... no. 1 the kitchen range

I last went to Clayton Hall sometime in the 1970s when were living in Ashton Under-Lyne and depending on the bus we took from Manchester would pass the place.

But now since it has reopened I have every reason to return, especially as it’s directly opposite a tram stop and I do love travelling on the tram.

Added to this my friend, Kay, who is one of the team responsible for the museum inside Clayton Hall has sent over some fabulous pictures of the restored kitchen range.

She told me that “here is the range that we bought off eBay when we were setting up the museum. It came from Wales, in pieces, without instructions.

My mum, Lynn, and another co-founder, Shirl, managed to install it, after a couple of tries and a bit of head-scratching.

The pictures show i with a new mantelpiece, really looking the part. 

You can see the slop stone on the right. The ironing board was donated by my neighbour. It had layers and layers of padding and an asbestos mat. 

Another fix-up job and it does the job nicely. The little maid was donated by me and is my daughter.

The original team included Kay Simcox, her friend Lynn  Blinkhorn and Shirley Hughes, Pauline Owen and Alma Smith, who sadly died.  We five co-founded the museum and did most of the work ourselves”.

Now that has to be a good story, and will be followed by more.
Clayton Hall is in the east of the city, and is directly opposite the Clayton Hall metro stop.

More info can be obtained by messaging Kay on the Clayton Hall Fb page, or emailing Lynn via info@claytonhall.org

Location; Clayton Hall

Pictures; courtesy of Kay Simcox 


1 comment:

  1. Thanks for this Andrew. I had never heard of Clayton Hall until today. Well done to all the volunteers,I will definitely be visiting this year.

    ReplyDelete