Saturday 10 February 2018

The ghost sign waiting to be remembered

Now I don’t remember Lennards but someone will.

They may have closed before I arrived in the city in 1969 or more likely I just never noticed them.

Back then I didn’t tend to go down Oldham Street and rarely looked up at buildings.

But Andy Robertson who took the pictures on an adventure in the Northern Quarter may well have the answer.

He possess the 1969 street directory which lists who resided everywhere in the Twin Cities and I am guessing it will be in there.

Sadly it doesn’t feature in Pevsner, that guide to all things architectural in Manchester which is shame.*

But someone will and quick as a flash will give me its history.

I hope so.

And quick as a flash Bill's wife thinks it was a gentlemen's outfitters, and Andy confirmed it had gone by 1969, leaving just Ted to nail the story with, "It was the Public Benefit Boot Company. Lennards Brothers from Leicester were involved".

Of course I now shall go looking from them, so as they say .... watch this spot.

Location; Oldham Street

Picture; on Oldham Street, 2018 from the collection of Andy Robertson

*Manchester, Clare Hartwell, 2001, Pevsner Architectural Guides

No comments:

Post a Comment