Sunday 25 March 2018

Down on Beech Road at the pet shop

Now I have long and fond memories of the pet shop on Beech Road.

For years when the children were still young it was a place we visited for everything from dog food to cat litter and a whole assortment of other stuff needed to cater for the gerbils, rabbits, and hamsters which turned up at the door and were taken in.

I always drew the line at goldfish but that never stopped me taking the children down into the cellars of the shop to look at the magic of all those exotic and multi coloured fish.

Looking back I guess that this was partly a cheap trip out but also a bit of an attempt to recreate my own childhood although in my case it was the regular trip to the cattle market in the town my grandparents lived.

So less pets and more farmers but the idea remains the same, and in turn it reminded me of the variety of different shops we had on Beech Road as late as the 1970s.

Now of course today there is still variety but  where once we had a range of food shops along with a hardware store, one selling televisions and another dealing with all things wool, that traditional scene has gone.

So I like the idea that we have a pet shop which is still pretty much as it was when I first starting going in there and so have decided to return to Peter’s painting from 2012.

Paintings; Pet Shop, Beech Road © 2012 Peter Topping, Paintings from Pictures,
Facebook:  Paintings from Pictures

No comments:

Post a Comment