Friday 30 March 2018

What’s new down at Woden Street?

Now the Friends of the Cornbrook to Castlefield Deansgate metro line finally have something to stare at.

Just across the water that “prestigious hotel style development of one, two and three bedroom apartments” offering “riverside living” are beginning to take shape.

And I notice from Andy’s pictures that the name Downtown is prominent.

For a long time this was just an open space with nothing more interesting than channels and pits but not any more.

I suppose if I went looking at the planning consent I would find out how big they will rise, but given that their neighbours are giants these I suspect will follow suit.

And those views of the old brick warehouses will soon be lost, leaving the bored commuter to ponder on what once stood on the site of Downtown.

Well I went looking and I can tell you that in 1893 it was the Irwell Rubber Works which stood beside the Liver Iron Foundry and the Craven Iron Foundry.

And that is all.

Location; Woden Street

Pictures; Woden Street 2018 from the collection of Andy Robertson 

No comments:

Post a Comment