Tuesday 6 March 2018

From Andy Robertson Two streets ... one name ......and a bit of historical confusion

It all started with a random virtual walk around Great Ancoats Street using Google Maps Streetview. 

I saw this rather sad looking old building on Laystall Street and said to myself I'd better snap that before it goes if it has not gone already.

A week or so later the opportunity presented itself as I made a slight detour after giving my daughter a lift to work in the snow.

I checked  the 1969 Manchester Directory and the building was at 32/34 occupied by Justman Ltd, wholesale clothiers and manufacturers. I then checked Manchester Local Image collection but only found

The White House pub listed for Laystall Street. I now checked some old maps and discovered there was a pub called The Welsh Harp next door at 30... and the street was then called Lees Street.

Checked Lees Street on MLI but nothing familiar, then checked for Welsh Harp on that excellent "Pubs of Manchester" site an that lead me back to those MLI images, but nothing seemed to quite fit, although there was obviously a pub there.

In the meantime there were lots of Emails to-ing and fro-ing with Andrew Simpson).

The buildings at either end of Lees Street on Images did not seem to quite fit, especially when I worked out those buildings on Great Ancoats Street at the end of Laystall Street were small shops between Fawcett Street and John Street, and I found an image

 By now Andrew had been alerted to the fact there was another Lees Street in Ancoats near the Oldham Road Goods depot which ran Between Oldham and Rochdale Roads.

After an age I "twigged" there was some small writing in white ink on the bottom of the pictures on "Images"and lo and behold it said looking to Oldham Road.

The pub I thought was The Welsh Harp was in fact "Land of Burns". This Lees Street no longer exists.

All this means I have still not found an old picture of my building on Laystall Street.

Location; Manchester

Pictures; LeesStreet,m10234, Fawcett St/Gt Ancoats St m01946  courtesy of Manchester Libraries, Information and Archives, Manchester City Council, http://images.manchester.gov.uk/index.php?session=pass and from the collection of Andy Robertson

No comments:

Post a Comment