Wednesday 28 July 2021

Lost and forgotten streets of Salford ............ nu 20 remembering a bit of Chapel Street

Now I don’t go in for nostalgia and rarely spend a lot of time reflecting on what might have been.

But a long time ago I regularly waited outside the solicitor’s which was housed in that tall glass building beside the Royal Liver Building.

It will have been around the summer of 1973 and I was meeting Kay.

She worked as a temp in the offices and I would make my way over from Grey Mare Lane where were living and after work take in a meal or a film before heading home.

I occasionally passed the place over the next four decades and watched as the building came to the end of its useful life, and was then used as a place to stick posters advertising everything from gigs to bars and restaurants.

And sometime between late 2012 and the middle of 2014  it was demolished along with the smaller property to its left and the impressive  Liver Building which at some point had been painted black.

It took me a few weeks to work out where it had been on my last visit but I found the vacant lot, and not for the first time I reflected on how yet another bit of my past has become an open space, vying with the others which are now car parks or blocks of flats.

And no sooner had I posted the story and Stephen told me that "this was a Securicor building in the mid 80s to early 90s. KRISTINA HARRISON solicitors were next door and did it not become a niche theatre during its black decor days or maybe theatre workshop?

It was Pony Express couriers (subsid of securicor)and securicor cleaning company mid 80s which was run there."

And P.J.Thompsn added, "the smaller property to the left was Slade House. The offices of 'The Society of Lithographic Artists, Designers and Engravers (SLADE) a British trade union representing workers in the printing industry.

Formed in Manchester in 1885.

They helped me get a pay rise in 1978."

Location; Salford Chapel Street

Picture; Chapel Street, no date, m77263, courtesy of Manchester Libraries, Information and Archives, Manchester City Council, http://images.manchester.gov.uk/index.php?session=pass

1 comment:

  1. Yes, Slade house....I was a member of Slade & pw, and fondly remember Alan Akers who always got us a decent pay rise

    ReplyDelete