Tuesday 27 July 2021

Tales from a camera ……. mistakes and successes

Now like almost everything I have done over the fifty years as an adult I am best described as an amateur.

The lamppost at the edge of the Pier, 2021

When it comes to writing about the past, the best description is “a jobbing historian” and with photography I have always subscribed to that simple rule of thumb which is spot the opportunity and snap away.

Not for me the carefully composed study taken over an expanse of time which is for the professionals.

All washed out, 2021

Most of the time it works well, but during my smelly photography days, I never had the patience to do test runs of the paper, and was known to guess at developing times, all of which made the end results a bit hit and miss.

Digital works better, but I never underestimate my ability to do something silly, and so it was on Sunday as we happened across Bangor Pier.

And while Tina was parking up, unpacking the boot, I was off happily snapping away, pleased with the scenes I was recording.

But alas that simple maxim of checking everything on the camera was a simple task too far.

So having somehow managed to fiddle with the mode dial, I ended up with a series of images which look washed out.  

And even I can’t be bothered to fiddle with them to produce something artistic.

Happily I noticed my mistake and corrected it before we left the pier, making the rest of the trip from Bangor and onto Menai and Beaumaris more successful.

So that is it.

The landmark, Menai, 2021
Less another history tale of Bangor Pier,* and more a silly story which I suspect only my pals in the Facebook site, All Things Photographic** will appreciate …….. although I suspect some of them will gently tut, and murmur “plonker”.

Location; Bangor




Pictures; Bangor Pier, 2021, from the collection of Andrew Simpson

*Adventures into the West … a pier… some Anglesey glass and two nice people, https://chorltonhistory.blogspot.com/2021/07/adventures-into-west-pier-some-anglesey.html

**All Things Photographic, https://www.facebook.com/groups/331565394411795

No comments:

Post a Comment