Wednesday 21 July 2021

Lost and forgotten streets of Salford nu 10 .......... under the arches of Bury Street and beyond

The short trip through the gloom of the railway arches brings you out on a stretch of Bury Road flanked by modern retail and residential properties and ends in a narrow alley.

Along the way you can wander off up one dead end or take the two streets off to the right which will bring you to Blackfriars Road.

Now I thought about digging deep into its history, but instead wonder what other people remember of the buildings, and the people which occupied Bury Street in the time before now.

And Alan Jennings has added, "Interesting, nothing much remains now of its former glory, 

It ran through to St Stephen's Street, when I was a child in the 1950s there were still a few pubs left, the Fox Tavern which we could see from our front door had by then become a common lodging house and there would be men hanging about outside, there was the Crown and Anchor which was still open as a pub, the Globe, and the Duke of York, and the Bird in Hand, 

Some buildings had been destroyed during the war, my memory fails me and I can't remember what else was there, I think that there were the Ironworks, and a Tatters yard, but I am not sure".

Location; Salford

Picture; Bury Street from Chapel Street, 2016 from the collection of Andrew Simpson

2 comments:

  1. My ggg grandfather's pub the duke of York was at 101 bury street. Stood roughly where Nathan drive bends today. Bury street of course once joined up with st Stephen street.

    ReplyDelete
  2. My ggg grandfather Thomas Lewis a chimney sweep lived at 111 Bury Street

    ReplyDelete