Friday 4 September 2020

Stevenson's the hairdressers, cutting and styling from 1909 on Wilbraham Road

Now just a couple of years ago there was a discussion on which was the oldest shop in Chorlton still trading under its original name.

Steph, Gwen and Janet in 1963
Most people opted for Burt’s on the corner of Wilbraham and Keppel Road which was open for the sale of Gentleman’s clothes, including ties, suits and shirts by 1909.

Sadly it has gone, but until relatively recently it would have been challenged by Stevenson’s the hairdressers which was operating five doors down at the same time.

Today the property is undergoing a makeover having been a cafe and last time I passed it was still empty but with some signs that work was in progress.

I was reminded of Stevenson’s when Bob Jones sent me a collection of pictures of his wife and colleagues in the shop sometime in the mid 1960s.

It was a place I remember because for a while someone I knew also worked there during the early 80s.

I am not sure when it closed but there will be someone who can tell me.  I have a vague memory of it becoming a jewellers but that is about it.

But in the fullness of time all will be revealed including I hope stories of the shop in the 1960s and a picture of our three young stylists when they were reunited last year.

In the meantime Bob tells me that the original Mr Stevenson "bought the shop in a deal struck in the Horse and Jockey, that his wife owned a hosiery shop next door but one and that their son Robert Varley was born upstairs."

Now those  will be all  fascinating stories to follow .

Location; Chorlton-cum-Hardy

Picture; three young stylists at Stevenson’s circa 1965, from the collection of Bob Jones.

2 comments:

  1. I remember well being taken for my hair cut we lived on Zetland rd so Stevensons was our local hairdressers....

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was one of those girls having a great time as an apprentice. It was a happy time in my life

    ReplyDelete