Thursday 24 September 2020

Messing about by the water ……. the canal at Eccles

Now not for Andy, the picturesque scene of the canal in the warmth of a bright sunny day.


Rather he chose one of those grey days which will become more common as we slide through autumn.

As he said, “this morning I got up early to go to Eccles. I knew it might be raining and it was. Gave up after a while”.

But before he closed the camera case he collected some interesting pictures of the canal which few people record.

They include one of those work a day vessels without which the easy flow of water traffic would be a tad more difficult.


It is a long time since I strolled down Barton Road following the line of the canal and I realise what I have missed.

So later today I will dig out my old maps and follow it path in the 19th century to see what I uncover.

Location; Eccles

Pictures; the canal at Eccles, 2020, from the collection of Andy Robertson



No comments:

Post a Comment