Saturday 6 July 2019

Discovering a little bit of our lost history, out by the Princes Bridge ...back in 2014

“Don't know what you know about this abandoned area just east of Water Street and over Princes Bridge, I discovered it on Monday afternoon.”

Well I have to confess neither do I but given these magnificent pictures that Andy tool on that warm sunny recent Bank Holiday I am inclined to want to do the research.

In the meantime I think I shall content myself with posting a few from the collection Andy  made while out that day

We are Middlewood Locks and the sign close by refers to the “Manchester Bolton and Bury Canal Restoration Middlewood Locks, A British Waterways  project to promote Regeneration and Restoration.”

So that gives me the historic link and the first place to research and suggests that in a few years this open bit of land will be redeveloped.

All of which means these like so many of Andy’s pictures these will be the only clue to what was once here.

And at present it does offer up some stunning views across to Manchester.

Pictures; Middlewood Locks,  Andy Robertson, May 2014

1 comment:

  1. But I for one would love to see more pictures of what was here before these derelict places. This was once a melting pot of industrial activity and human experience. Prison, mineral and ore processing and a huge freight terminal in Victorian times.

    ReplyDelete