Saturday 6 July 2019

A ghost sign on Burton Road

On Burton Road 2014
“I know you like these almost as much as your cinemas!!”

And Andy Robertson is quite right.  I do like ghost signs and this one intrigues me.

It is situated on the corner of Burton Road and Montrose Avenue.

Andy tells me that this is "now the home of Woodall and Atkinson, plumbers. They were there in 1969" and now the hunt is on to date the original sign.

In 1911 an Ernest Banks is listed as a joiner, so our sign may date from before or after that time.

And just a few hours after I posted the story, Sally found this entry in a telephone book for 1931,  so one step further.

Picture; from the collection of Andy Robertson, telephone listing courtesy of Sally Dervan

Research by Andy Robertson 

No comments:

Post a Comment