Monday 2 May 2022

Southern Cemetery ….. a house in West Didsbury …….. and a certain Jeanne Vignot of á Neuilly-sur-Seine

I am the first to admit that speculating on the relationship between a Jeanne Vignot in France and the mystery resident of Clyde Road , is both unhistorical and unlikely to take you anywhere.

But the romantic in me wonders just why aJeanne received this picture postcard in the January of 1908, and what she thought of being sent a photograph of a cemetery, even if it was the impressive Southern Cemetery.

In time I might go looking for Jeanne, but for now, because it is easier I will go for the person who sent it.  The clue is on the postcard in the form of the sender’s address, which is 93 Clyde Road.
The house is still there today and is one of a pair which as then goes under the title of Kinloss Villas, and dates from 1882.

But here is the problem, I know who was there in 1901 and who was there eight years later, but for now pinpointing the residents in the year the card was sent still alludes.

That discovery will have to wait for the next visit to Central Ref and a trawl of the directories for 1908.

Suffice to say in 1901 it was the home of Mr. and Mrs. Hale, their four children and two servants.

By 1909 it is occupied by Mr. and Mrs. Amirayan, but they have proved quite elusive.  I know he was a “Manager of Exports” and in 1929 had offices at 29 Princess Street, and that his wife and daughter had traveled from Australia and Japan in the 1920s, but apart from one official record from 1939, I can’t find much else, and that much else extends to no census records.

So it remains a but of a mystery, but nature and all historians abhor a mystery so I shall plug on to find the identity of the person at 93 Clyde Road and a possible connection with France.

Location; West Didsbury

Picture postcard. Southern Cemetery, 1908 from the collection of David Harrop

2 comments:

  1. Hello, Andrew.

    Hope you are well.

    I have come across your article whilst I was looking for something else online. I live at 91 Clyde Road in West Didsbury, the adjoining house to 93. I’m intrigued to know if you have dug any further into this intriguing story.

    Thanks.
    Danny

    ReplyDelete