Wednesday 25 May 2022

The Coronation …. the souvenir ….. and Mr. Stephenson at the Barton Arcade

Now I know the forthcoming Jubilee celebrations will not be everyone’s cup of tea, but the story of the coronation 70 years ago remains a fascinating piece of history, not just because of the obvious connection with the throne but because of the huge number of memories and memorabilia that it generated.

Coronation Mug, 2022
So, to the Coronation mug which was given to my friend Ann who lived in Chorlton, and to one of those twisty stories that led back to a Mr. Stephenson and the Barton Arcade.

Ann sent these pictures over and wondered if all children had received a coronation mug.  

She assumed that across the country that was the case, but Howard, her husband who comes from London was never given one.  

He may have been unlucky or his school may have ran out on the day, but at least Ann’s is intact and sits on a shelf in their home in France.

I have to confess I have been meaning to explore the “missing mugs” for a while, but what reignited my interest was the name of the supplier who who was H.G. Stephenson of Manchester.

H.G. Stephenson, 2022
And as you do I idly went looking for the company with no real expectation that after 70 years they would still be in business, but they are, and my Wikipedia tells me “H.G. Stephenson Ltd are an independent distributor of crockery, glassware, cutlery and other tableware, based in Stockport, Greater Manchester, England.

More commonly known as 'Stephensons', the company is owned and run by the fifth generation of the family. Henry George Stephenson established Stephensons in 1860 when he rented a stall in Salford flat iron markets before moving into the newly built Barton Arcade. 

The company moved to Kennerley Works in Stockport in 1967 after 99 years in Manchester”.*

Now, never being one to steal other people’s research if you want more on their story, just follow the link

Leaving me just to say that the company is currently advertising their Jubilee products with the warning that to avoid disappointment they should be ordered before the forthcoming Bank Holiday.**

Barton Arcade, 2012

So, a nice piece of continuity and one that led me back to Barton Arcade, that wonderful Victorian version of the Arndale Centre, which with its mix of glass and iron remains a favourite with many people.

Shopping for the Jubilee, 1977
In the course of time I will go looking for just where they were located in Barton Arcade but I know that in 1911 they were at 24/26 St Ann’s Street opposite the church.

All of which is enough for now.

Other than to reflect that what ever you may think of the monarchy, the Coronation or the Jubilee they remain a rich source of history, from the memories of those who watched or participated to the shedload of objects and pictures that have survived.

As for Howard, he may be consoled if others write in to say they also missed out.

And my old friend Alan did just that with this smashing account of his Coronation souvenir.

"Fascinating, so interesting and takes me right back to my childhood, I was in Hope Hospital, Salford suffering with T.B. 

Our family Doctor had been made Mayor of Salford, Doctor Schlosberg, whose surgery was in Greengate he visited me in hospital and presented me, not with a mug, but instead a Coronation Glass, 

Alan's Coronation Glass, 2022
It was the most brilliant Blue with a Gold rim and filled with chocolates, I was 6 years old, 

It has been with me through at least 8 house moves, It is faded now, a bit like me, but I still have it, 

Thank you for bringing back a lovely memory." 

Other memories gratefully accepted.

Location; Manchester, but not London

Pictures; a Coronation mug, 2022, courtesy of Ann Love, Barton Arcade from the collection of Andrew Simpson, and the 1977 Silver Jubilee Shopping bag courtesy of Sarah Champion's mum, and the Coronation Glass, from the collection of Alan Jennings

* H. G. Stephenson [Stephensons], https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/H._G._Stephenson

**STEPHENS150NS, https://www.stephensons.com/


4 comments:

  1. Love the lovely coronation glass and your memories of the day you received it. I too received a glass and carried it home worrying that I might break it. I didn’t.but thanks again for you’re history columns s

    ReplyDelete
  2. I received a mug like the one shown, from Nevill Road school, Bramhall, I was 4. Coincidentally my sister worked at Stephensons in Stockport when she left school in the 70s.

    ReplyDelete