Monday 23 May 2022

Catching the tram to Southern Cemetery ………….

An occasional series celebrating the old Manchester Corporation trams……. and by extension all Corporation trams everywhere.

I don’t have a date, for when car 978 trundled past on its way past Southern Cemetery, but I am guessing it will sometime during the 1920s and 1939.

Someone with far more knowledge than me, will be able to date the car in the corner.

That said I know that route 45 from Piccadilly to Southern Cemetery was converted to motor buses in February 1939.

All  of which means, that sadly there can be few people who could describe that journey.



Location; Chorlton

Picture; car 978 route 45, sometime before 1939 from the collection of Andrew Simpson

1 comment:

  1. I believe this was called the Southern Cemetery Circular with another route (46) going round the other way.

    ReplyDelete