Thursday 26 May 2022

When the present becomes the past ...........

Now I am not a great fan of those revamped pubs which have been altered and themed.

This usually means just placing a few old photographs on the wall which may or may not be connected to the pub and adding the odd bit of period “stuff” ranging from an early 20th century sewing machine, scrubbing board or rusty enamelled sign for a long gone product.

But then Andy came up with this which he found in “in the Erskine Arms, Conwy”, and knew there was a story.

I remember Craven A cigarettes, and assumed they had gone the way of other brands like Senior Service, Consulate and Woodbines .

But according to my Wikipedia, not so.*

"Craven A is a British brand of cigarette, currently manufactured by British American Tobacco under some of its subsidiaries.  

The cigarette brand is named after the third Earl of Craven.

After the end of World War I, the cigarette market resumed its normal competitive spirit with the Carreras Tobacco Company once more well to the fore. Bernhard Baron, a director of Carreras, knew that to compete successfully his product had to be better than his competitors' and in 1921 Carreras launched Craven A, a brand that became a household name in over 120 countries with the slogan "Will Not Affect Your Throat". 

It was the first machine-made cork-tipped cigarette."*

There is more, but mindful that you don’t lift other people’s research I will just leave you to follow the link.

Not that I think our cigarette dispenser is now in use, leaving me to assume its role is purely decorative.

And reminds me that there is anecdotal evidence that some doctors placed cigarette machines in their waiting rooms in the 1930s, while no newsagents worth their News of The World would forgo placing similar machines outside their shops.

Leaving me just to reflect that I think I will do a bit more research on famous brands which have now faded from the scene.  

After all I grew up in a house where mother smoked and often chose new brands like Guards, and those menthol flavoured Consulate which fascinated me.

And in the case of Consulate lasted into this century.

Happily, I never took up smoking and was very happy when the habit was banned from public spaces, but that is another story.

But I still like catching sight of those old machines which somehow survive in the odd places.


Location; Erskine Arms, Conwy

Picture; Craven A in Conwy, 2022, from the collection of Andy Robertson, the forgotten machine in Deal, 2016, courtesy of Liz and Colin Fitzpatrick

*Craven A, https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Craven_A

1 comment:

  1. Cigarette
    Cards and the games mids played with them could e a chapter in a book. My dad showed me how to make an army tank out of a box of 10 cigarettes. Mum joked that our house was furnished using the coupons from Kensitas! He died aged 57 from lung cancer. Dave.

    ReplyDelete