Wednesday 25 March 2020

Ghost signs in Didsbury



I have become fascinated by ghost signs.*

They crop up on buildings advertising traders and products and often survive long after the people of the product have long gone, but they are slowing fading from sight.

In some cases they have been deliberately painted over leaving just a feint hint of what was there.

In other cases they are slowly disappearing as the paint peels away.

Over the last few months I have featured the Chorlton signs and have pretty much shown them all.  So while out in Didsbury I came across this in one Warbuton Street.

Now Warburton Street is a place I haven’t been too in ages.  I used to come regularly to Morton’s bookshop but somehow just got out of the habit which is a shame because it is a delightful place.

And on what might be the last bright sunny Saturday of October I so was Warbuton Street which is one of those narrow little roads with interesting looking buildings on both sides.

Back in 1911 the last building on the north side was the Midland Railways stables which is a reminder that at the bottom of the street was the railway line which again has been pressed into service as the tram line.

So back to the ghost sign which announced R. Oldfield and a Trade I can’t make out, but out there in Didsbury there will be someone who knows, of that I am convinced. And as I hoped Joanne Newbery has posted that it was a B. Oldfield Cycles. And there he was in the telephone directory from 1934 to 1955 as B. Oldfield Cycles, 2 Warburton St, Didsbury

Picture; from the collection of Peter Topping

*http://chorltonhistory.blogspot.co.uk/search/label/ghost%20signs

No comments:

Post a Comment