Sunday 29 March 2020

Where are the bees of yesteryear ………………..?

Now, back in the summer of 2018, the city was full of bees, which became both a tourist attraction and ultimately raised money for charity.

And the blog joined in the fun, running 21 stories, featuring countless pictures of bees many of which were contributed by friends and others.

Nor was it just the city, because as bees do, many settled in Salford and even further afield.

All of which made me decide to run a few of those stories again during the lockdown.

The first few went out last week and I was tempted to post just one more, but then after a series of responses to the one I posted earlier today I think there is a new series in the offering.

Ken Grainger had  commented  “It was great fun doing the Bee trail. We went from the Whitworth to Angel Meadow and all Bees in between. Would be great if they could reposition them all again across Manchester after this crisis is over, that would be a huge fillip for Mancunians and visitors”.

To which Paul Sherlock had added,  "I imagine that would be difficult, Ken because they were auctioned off, so many of them now belong to different people. 

At the time I photographed every one of them It would be interesting to see how many of them I could find again, wherever they are. 

There are still some in very obvious places, including a few that are back where they were at the time but others must be hidden away. Sometimes I've spotted items from similar events, including cows and benches”.

And, yes Paul is dead right, ….. the follow up series will focus on what happened to the bees, which will require people who acquired one to follow Paul’s advice and post a picture of the new location with a few words.

So that is it.

I was going to leave this one till tomorrow …. But I won’t.

You can send them via social media to me on my facebook or twitter site or leave a message for me to contact you.

Location, Manchester

Picture; Manchester Bee in New Cathedral Street, 2018, from the collection of Andrew Simpson

No comments:

Post a Comment