Saturday 14 March 2020

Old pubs ............The Ship at Styal

This is the Ship at Style, which was one of the pubs we frequented from work during the dinner hour.

It vied with the Romper which as I remember was tucked away down a small country lane which is less rural today that it was forty years ago.

Both pubs had pretty much receded into the back of my memory, and so I was pleased when Andy sent over these two pictures of The Ship yesterday, along with The 39 Steps restaurant, which I suspect is named after the novel of the same name, written in 1915 by John Buchan and made in to four films.

Of these I can claim to have seen three, and while I agree with the critics that the 1935 Hitchcock version with Robert Donat, my favourite remains the Kenneth Moore adaption made in 1959 in full colour with that endearing mix of 1950s optimism and comedy.

Leaving me just to say that there is an interesting little history of the Ship on their web site, which I shall not steal.*

Location; Styal

Pictures; The Ship Inn, Styal, 2020, from the collection of Andy Robertson

*The Ship Inn, https://www.theshipstyal.co.uk/about/

**The 39 Steps, 1935, 1959,1978, 2008

No comments:

Post a Comment