Saturday 21 March 2020

On Barlow Moor Road in 1960 ..... and back to Wilmlsow Road

Now here is a picture which began on Wilmslow Road, boved to Barlow Moor Road and has returned to its original destination.or 

It was drawn by my friend Ann in 1960 which might account for me being unable to recognise it.

But then again I was wandering this bit of Didsbury only nine years later so I should be able to remember.

That said I bet there will be someone who does and who will come back with the names of all the shops, what they sold and a pithy little tale about Ingham Hughes, Estate Agent.

When I first ran the story back a few years ago, I placed it on Wilmslow Road, but was never really convinced, always coming back to that parade on Barlow Moor Road.  To my shame I was too lazy to go back and change it.

And when I re posted it today  I kept Wilmlsow Road in the title, but by popular consent we are on  Barlow Moor Road, but always go back to the artist who assures me "It really was on Wilmslow road. Didsbury.  At the end of Barlow Moor Rd, turn right towards Stockport (as on the 16 bus) and these shops were about  100yds along on the right".

Location; Didsbury

Picture; Wilmlsow Road, 1960, Ann Love


No comments:

Post a Comment