Friday 3 April 2020

Always explore properly …… Parkfield Road and Didsbury United Reformed Church

Now it’s a simple lesson, but one I don’t always follow through, which is …… never stay on the main roads, always wander off and you will be amazed at what you find.

It is an idea I used to adhere to, and back in the 1970s got to know much of the city by just turning off the big busy street and exploring the smaller often much more interesting ones.

But I don’t do it as often as I should, and so when Barbarella sent over this picture of a church I was totally stumped.

Of course, residents of West Didsbury will know it well, but I didn’t, and it was only when Barbarella said it was almost opposite the synagogue I knew where to look. 

It is Didsbury United Reformed Church, or as it once was St Aiden’s Presbyterian Church, and it is one I have passed countless times, but only from Palatine Road.

And I have to admit I have at times thought it odd, given what looks to be a small footprint facing Palatine Road, but then as I now know it extends down Parkfield Road.

So, there you are.

Location; West Didsbury

Picture; Didsbury United Reformed Church, 2020, from the collection of Barbarella Bonvento



No comments:

Post a Comment