Thursday 23 April 2020

A tunnel and the story of a railway …………….

Now the Docklands Light Railway was one of those things that happened when I wasn’t looking.

To be fair I do now live in Manchester, and have done so since 1969, when aged just nineteen I crossed the River and continued on till morning which took me to my adopted city.

And it was while I was away in the north that the railway was built.

To this day I have never travelled on it, and know only that it runs with the minimum number of staff, and crosses the Thames with stops in Woolwich Greenwich and Lewisham.

All of which will be quite familiar to many, but there will be those like me who left when the docks were still docks, and men labored unloading cargoes from across the world.

So here is another picture from John King, which I like of the Cutty Sark stop which captures perfectly the moment before the train arrives.

As to the story of the DLR, that has already been done, and I suspect better than I could do.
So, I will leave it at that.

Location; Greenwich

Picture; The DLR tunnel at the Cutty Sark Station. 2019, from the collection of John King

No comments:

Post a Comment