Tuesday 14 April 2020

Simone Balzano .......... 1938-2020

Today we said goodbye to our dearest Simone, husband, father, grandad and great grandad.


I say goodbye but in these strange times, a formal ceremony was out of the question.

He will be cremated tomorrow without any family being present.

These are the ongoing regulations in Italy following a death.

Such are the times we live in.

I only got to know Simone and his wife Rosa around the year 2000, shortly after I met and settled down with their daughter Tina.

Our first meeting was at the seaside when Tina, her son Luca,  and me, and my sons spent a fortnight in Rivabella, just down the coast from Rimini.

Within a few short days, we had met Simone, his wife Rosa and three of their children plus their families, and from then on most Easter’s and summers were spent in Italy either in the family home or an Italian resort.

And from the moment we met them we became part of their family.

So, we all grieve the sad loss of Simone who became an adopted father to me, grandparent to my children  and a great grandad to our little Arlo.

All of us will have our own special memories.

One of mine was the first time he introduced me to limoncello, on our first holiday, when we slipped out of the hotel on a pretext, and ever afterwards round about the same time where ever we were, he would give me a conspiratorial smile and we were away like two naughty school boys.

Like everyone in the family I will miss him dearly.





Location; Varese

Pictures; from the collection of the Balzano family


3 comments:

  1. Dee[est sympathy to you all, and a lovely tribute

    ReplyDelete
  2. Our sincerest condolences to you, Tina and your family.

    ReplyDelete