Tuesday 14 April 2020

Cab shelters I have known ...... number 2 ..... Kensington Road, London, 2013

Now I am a great fan of street furniture which can come in all shapes and sizes and once performed different tasks.*

My own favourite has to be the horse, tough which when I was growing up in London were still very much in use.

Over the last two years lots of other bits of street furniture have caught my fancy and made their way in to the series.

And yesterday I dug out an old picture of the cab man’s shelter I took in Ripon in 2014.

Passing it again at the weekend it stirred the pot and became a story.

Bill Sumner followed up with heaps of information about it and Dave pointed out my miss spelling of Ripon which as regular readers will know is a feature of the blog.

But passing over that, here is another cabman’s shelter, from the camera of my old friend Andy Robertson whose accompanying comment was short and pertinent, ....... “not to be outdone!.....Kensington Road, near Hyde Park, London, September 2013."

And with that I await more additions to the series, Street Furniture lost and saved and point out that, the white and grey plaque adds the bits I left out.*

Although as an after thought I am looking for that famous image of two "high society darlings" slumming it after a night on the town with a cup of tea and shed load of London cabbies.

The decade could be the '30's but equally might stray into any year from the next two decades.

The photographer may have been Bill Brandt, and that I think adds a second challenge.

Location, London


Picture; cabman’s shelter, London, 2013 from the collection of Andy Robertson

*Street Furniture lost and saved, https://chorltonhistory.blogspot.co.uk/search/label/Street%20Furniture%20lost%20and%20saved

No comments:

Post a Comment