Wednesday 10 June 2020

Brookfield House on the edge of Chorlton

This is Brookfield House and it is still there today, although it is a long time since it was a home.

It stands on the edge of Chorlton Park.  Now I can’t be sure of when it was built, but there are buildings on this site as early as 1750.  That said I suspect this one dates from the early 19th century.

In the 1840s it was the home of an accountant and later the doctor James Partington.

It was actually in the township of Withington as was Hough End Hall.

I am not sure when it passed into the ownership of the Corporation but I guess it will have been in the late 1920s when Chorlton Park was finished.

It is somewhere I have tried to get into but with no success, although I am reliably told that there is nothing left inside of the original building.

Picture; Brookfield House, circa 1913 from the Lloyd Collection

3 comments:

  1. It would be frustrating not to be able to get into a place like that.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Fascinating Andy I love that house x

    ReplyDelete
  3. I rememember at one time (I think it must have been in the early 1970's) bowls could be hired from one of its lower floor rooms for use on the adjacent bowling greens.(Now fenced in as an orchard).

    ReplyDelete