Saturday 20 June 2020

When you have Chorlton Bookshop ….. who needs Amazon?

Now I am not sniffy about using Amazon.

And I have even been known to look on the site for those out of print old books that even J. R. R. Hartley would be hard pressed to find.*

But for books in print I will always first visit our own local bookshop, and this week I sent them a request for Michael Stedman’s book on the Manchester Pals.**

Out of curiosity and because I wasn’t sure Chorlton Bookshop was open I tried Amazon on Monday, but was told it wasn’t available.

On the same day I emailed Chorlton, and received a reply within the hour that they would contact the publishers, and the following day they had placed the order, which was delivered on Thursday.

All of which is excellent service, and only bettered in more ordinary times when the team can get the book the following day.

So that is it …………. I have produced an advert or a post of appreciation for our local book shop? 

I will leave that up to you.

Location; Chorlton

Picture; cover of Manchester Pals

*J. R. Hartley is a fictional character in a popular advertisement promoting the British Yellow Pages, first shown in 1983.

**Manchester Pals, Michael Stedman, 1994, 2004

No comments:

Post a Comment