Sunday 7 June 2020

Buses I have known and routes I travelled

I have to say I remain a fan of those old rear loading buses.


Of course they did nothing for those in wheelchairs, or wanting to board the bus with a buggy, or even a shopping trolley, but they were what I grew up with.

Even now the idea of running after the bus and jumping on, or judging the speed and slipping off before it got to a bus stop appeals to me.

To this day I have no idea why I photographed this one in its old Corporation livery or for that matter how I got the shot of the line of buses proceeding down Princes Street.

Given that the pictures date from 1979 when the old council buses departments had been merged to form SELNEC I rather think this might have been part of the steam outing which saw vintage cars buses, and traction engines make their way through the city in a glorious homage to our transport past.

But I could just be wrong, have mixed up the two pictures, and saw no more significance in the first other than back then I regularly caught the 105 along with the 100 and 101 to work.

That said the building behind on the corner of Bombay Street went long ago, replaced by by one with coloured pillars, and bits of ornate ironwork and glass leaving me just  invite  stories about the 53.

And, here is what John Anthony Hewitt sent over,  "Are you sure the line of buses is Princess Street? The street seems too narrow and a railway bridge can be seen behind the buses, which made me consider Sackville Street. 

The street name is Bombay Street that connected both streets - and still does, but with part pedestrian only. The picture of  Velvet House (from Google Maps), does look remarkably similar to the building in your photo - and it stands on the corner of Bombay Street / Sackville Street. 

The line of buses includes a 105 BE... - just behind the lamp post, which just could be the Daimler in your main photo".  And I minded to agree.

Location; Manchester

Pictures; old buses, 1979, from the collection of Andrew Simpson

No comments:

Post a Comment