Wednesday 24 March 2021

The band, a demonstration, and a bit of a mystery

I know the name of the band, and am pretty sure we are in Manchester and the date will be sometime in the late 1970s into the ‘80s.

But more than that I am stumped.

They are the Cri De Coeur and given the Salford sign painted on the side of the flat top it will be a demonstration I was on sometime between 1978 and 84.

Now I can be fairly sure of the dates because that was the brief time I took and developed my own photographs.

That said many of those I took were never turned into prints and have sat almost forgotten in our cellar for forty years.

All of which explains why I am hazy about the venue and the date.

As you do I went searching for the group and turned up a short you tube clip from 1988 with the promising comment that they were a punk based band from Lincoln formed in 1986.

Now that doesn't fit with my time line.

By 1984 I had pretty much given up the darkroom with the birth of our first son swapping evenings with smelly chemicals and an enlarger for Thomas the Tank Engine and Lego.

Nor is the location much of a help.  The brick building is tantalisingly familiar, but all the possible venues for where I might have been just don’t match the picture.

I hoped the strip of negatives might help but they don't.

Long ago they got transposed with others which make it almost impossible to check back.

Still someone will know, either because they recognise the site, followed the band or remember the demonstration.

And quick as a flash some has located the spot.

According to Ted it is the site of the old Mabel Tylecote Building on the corner of Oxford Road and Cavendish Street.

I thought we were down in All Saints, and in the original draft said so, but I couldn’t match my pictures with the site today, but that was because I had placed myself round the corner on Higher Ormond Street.

Location; Manchester

Picture; a band, a demonstration and a mystery, circa 1979, from the collection of Andrew Simpson

1 comment: