Thursday 11 March 2021

Watching the Barbakan grow ……………

There is something in the idea that we tend to take the present for granted, which for me was that moment when I realized that the Barbakan on Manchester Road had had a makeover.


It happened I guess sometime in the 1990s or very early in the 2000s, and was after the time the kids had stopped going to the swimming baths and before I regularly went to Unicorn.

So, in my defence, I rarely ventured down past the Library and as a result missed the building work and the expansion of the deli.

These are another two of Andy Robertson’s pictures and show that even then he had embarked on his project to capture the changes to Chorlton, which soon spread right across Greater Manchester.


For some reason these do not have a date which is unusual for Andy, but I shall ask him when he thinks he took the photographs.

Alternatively I could ask the Barbakan or wait for someone to supply the answer.

And a correction from Victor who says, "This development appears to be from a time when Ward Brothers had left the property.The next owners began the improvements .You can see the ground floor was done first and the apartments were then constructed. This wasn’t a Barbakan initiative,as far as I can remember".

Location; Chorlton


Pictures; Manchester Road, circa 1990s, from the collection of Andy Robertson



No comments:

Post a Comment