Thursday 25 March 2021

That Thames Barrier …… still looking good ..... nearly 40 years on

Now, it is 39 years since the Thames Barrier went into service.

The Thames Barrier, 2020

Work began in 1974 and it was finished in 1982, and watching it being built I marveled at the engineering that went into its construction.

Under construction, circa 1979

Although someone I suspect will tell me that it was quite easy to build.

But I remain impressed.

Sometime around the late 1970s, or early 1980s  I wandered down and took a series of pictures, which lay forgotten in our cellar for four decades.

They aren’t the best I have taken but in my defence they were converted from old colour slides and negatives, and were at a time when I was just starting out on a long love affair with the camera.

In all it's glory, 2020

And having found them I started posting them, which prompted Garry to contribute to of his own pictures taken a full 38 years later.

Together I think they make a nice comment on the passing of nearly four decades of the Thames barrier.

Location; the River Thames, 




Pictures; the Thames Barrier, circa late 1970s from the collection of Andrew Simpson, and gain in 2020 courtesy of Garry Luttman


No comments:

Post a Comment