Wednesday 3 March 2021

Ghost signs on Beech Road ..............

A little bit of the past came out into the sunlight on Beech Road this week.


I have to admit l missed it but Lawrence clocked it.

And the clue to what was sold in the shop is there in the ghost sign.

That said you have to have lived on Beech Road over a decade ago to have bought some stamps or sent a parcel by recorded delivery and picked up a birthday card for good measure.

I will have to go back and check because my memory has played me false and l can't  now remember exactly when the Post office closed. Since then it has traded under a number of names, from Pillar Box, Melanie Jones, and Love Lucy.


I can't remember B & J McLaughlin, but someone will.

In 1969 it was run by Joseph Hartley who was listed as "stationers & post office", with a separate listing "Post & M.O. Office".

And no sooner had I posted the story, and Marilyn Clough commented, "the Hartley's ran it in the 1950s and 60s I lived on Beech Road in the 50s. I was friends as a child with their son Michael".

Location; Chorlton

Picture; ghost signs on Beech Road, 2021, from the collection of Lawrence Beedle

No comments:

Post a Comment