Thursday 5 November 2020

Road signs with a story …………… just waiting to be found

I am intrigued by this stone road sign and its story.


Andy Robertson sent the pictures over, adding 

“I spotted this on the corner of Derbyshire Road and Northenden Road in Sale. 

I don't suppose it is in its exact original location but still interesting. 

Even when It was brand new and glistening I guess the passing motorists of today would have had trouble reading it?”

And I wondered if the local resident was happy to have such a sign above his stone wall.


It is one of those silly historical stories which might just lead somewhere.

After all there will be a few people with detailed local historical knowledge who can answer Andy’s question on the sign’s original location, as well as explaining how common these road inscriptions were and perhaps offering up some more.

And finally, it does allow me to use a delightful image from Trafford Lifetimes, dating from the 1880s.

Sadly my knowledge of Derbyshire Road is scant, so I can do no more than suggest this might be the other side of the road.


But someone will correct me, and that is both the fun and the joy of sharing pictures and stories on the blog.

Location, Sale

Pictures; Derbyshire Road and Northenden Road in Sale, 2020, from the collection of Andy Robertson, and Derbyshire Road, 1880, TL3126, courtesy of Trafford Lifetimes, https://apps.trafford.gov.uk/TraffordLifetimes/

*Derbyshire Road, Sale, view from Northenden Road, terrace beyond trees on the right 12-16 cottages. Beyond was the Smithy (see 1876 OS map) and Gough's field, now a pair of semis and town houses. 1880


No comments:

Post a Comment