Sunday 26 February 2017

Growing up in Eltham in the 1950s ......... stories by Eddy Newport no 6 a garden, some vegetables and the rabbit

Another in the series by Eddy Newport taken from his book, History of a War Baby.

Dad became a keen gardener and worked hard to establish a well laid out garden.

He built paths around the bungalow and elevated the   lawn, as the garden was about a hundred foot long he cultivated a vegetable patch at its far end.

I would try and help out, but when it came to digging I managed to drive a garden fork through my boot and luckily the prong went between my toes.

Dad grew mostly potatoes and cabbage.

He did keep some rabbits for a while in a hutch behind our shed.

This was fine until he decided to have one killed for the pot. He could not do it himself, so a friend came round in to do the dispatching. I was fascinated by this. The friend went out to get the rabbit and holding it by its ears did the rabbit chop to the back of its neck. It was not a clean kill and the rabbit made some noise.

Eventually, it was declared dead and brought it into the kitchen where he started to skin it. I was amazed as the organs that appeared from the animal also the blood being collected into a basin. I was not horrified to all this just fascinated by it all. I think it upset Mum and Dad as he soon got rid of the all the rabbits.

© Eddy Newport 2017

Picture; from the collection of Eddy Newport

No comments:

Post a Comment