Monday 30 April 2018

From Chorlton To The City: Illustration techniques .... Liz Ackerley

Since January of this year I’ve been working on a little exhibition of my work called: From Chorlton To The City.


The exhibition will be held at The World Peace Cafe,
The Kadampa Meditation Centre, Chorlton.  The preview is on Friday 4 th May 5-8 pm.  In this second part of a two-part discussion about the work (you can read the first part here), I’ll explain how I’ve created the pieces that are in the exhibition.

There are 3 different types of images in the exhibition: Colour first sketches; Ink first maps and collages. Each approach has been used for particular reasons and requires specific techniques.

Creation of my sketches
There are 13 colour first sketches in the exhibition.  All of them have been done on location using a colour first technique.  As an urban sketcher and reportage illustrator, it’s important for me to record things actually on location, not from photographs.  

This is because I am trying to capture the energy of the place, that sense of place and occasion.

The use of watercolour before the linework also enables me to produce a more vibrant drawing.  It prevents on overly precious approach to the line work.

That said, a quality of line is critical.  In putting down the colour, I am trying to capture the key shapes or patterns but I am not necessarily getting them in exactly the right position.  

The idea of the colour first is to capture the scene, in a spontaneous way.  It usually looks quite abstract, even child-like and that is the point!

The pen work is always done with a fountain pen and waterproof ink.  Consideration is given to ensure that depth in the drawing is created.  This is achieved by variation of line weight and detail.  

My sketches are finished with handwritten titles.  I use a modified form of italic writing.

As a child I was taught italic writing with a dip pen at school.  I have then adapted that in various ways to create the font.

Creation of the compilation maps

There are 2 compilation maps in the exhibition, one represents the bus route from Cholton to Manchester and the other represents the tram from Chorlton to Manchester.

For these compilations I have used acrylic inks rather than watercolour to achieve the vibrancy I was after.

The colours represent either the bus or tram colours.


The linework is used to capture views/architecture of the journey to or through the city.   



Creation of my collages

There are 5 collages in the exhibition.

As a landscape designer and landscape architect, I am fascinated by materiality and texture.  I am therefore keen to convey this in my visual work and create a sense of touch and texture through collage.  I use different papers, paint and inks to achieve the feel and texture I want in my collages.

In addition, given my interest in lettering and words, the use of newsprint and other written materials enables me to incorporate a narrative into my work.  I use materials that are relevant to the collage in question, including tickets, leaflets, brochures, books etc.

I am trying to achieve a sense of place in my collages, similarly to my sketches, although I am also aiming to create more abstract textural elements within the overall image.

My process starts with sketches on location followed by compositional sketches to test out the best composition.

I then use the papers to create relatively abstract shapes and patterns.  I work with a limited colour palette and lay down acrylic inks and acrylic paint.  I limit the colour palette so as to produce a more impactful visual that allows the textures to sing.

I then use ink and palette knives and dip pens to create the familiar line work.  Often I go back and forth, adding more paper and colour as I go.
It is a non-linear and organic approach that balances with my somewhat overly analytical brain!!

I am currently using a mix of techniques, some of which are very connected to by sketching work (e.g. the line work), whilst others, using textural papers, inks and paints, are development areas.  

I’m really looking foreword to the exhibition and hope you will be able to make it to the preview on 4th May or sometime between May and July to view the exhibition.  All art works is original and is available for sale.


No comments:

Post a Comment