Wednesday 18 April 2018

In the dark chambers and tunnels...... the Irk flows on.

Now yesterday I featured one of Andy’s photographs taken this week of the river Irk.

And to continue that series here are two more which will be familiar to most.

But yesterday I got asked where Andy’s picture of the Irk was, and so today rather than bumble on with lots of words and directions, here are two shots which will perfectly locate the spot.

The romantic in me would love to see this spot as it might have looked during the early 18th century when the area was open fields, while the inquisitive side hankers to wander into that dark tunnel.

Of course such ventures are not to be promoted and will be dangerous, and certainly not what I would undertake.

I did instead think about launching into a history of the 19th century engineering and the construction of the railway station and surrounding buildings, but that has been done,so I will leave it at that.


Location; where the Irk meets the Irwell

Picture; where the Irk meets the Irwell, 2018, from the collection of Andy Robertson

No comments:

Post a Comment