Thursday 26 April 2018

The building waiting for the stories ........ the Northern Hospital .... Cheetham Hill Road

On Park Place, 2018
Now here is a building with lots of stories, which in the fullness of time will be revealed.

Andy Robertson was up on Cheetham Hill Road recently and spotted this building.

“I caught a glimpse of it, on Park Place and immediately thought ‘hospital’ and so it was! 

It was the Northern Hospital originally opened as a Children's hospital in 1867. It later began admitting women.

Cheetham Hill Road, 2018
Due to demand an extension was built in 1892 giving it a facing on Cheetham Hill Road and I think it must be the red brick building on beside the old Central Synagogue. ......it seems to fit”.

I have to confess that when I was there a few weeks earlier I totally missed the building on Park Place and ignored the one on Cheetham Hill Road.

In 1911 it was “Open daily, except Sunday, from 8.30 am, to out patients”, with its office at “38 Barton Arcade, Deansgate”*

The Hospital, 1911
I shall now sit back and wait for the stories.

Location; Cheetham Hill Road





Pictures; the Northern Hospital, 2018, from the collection of Andy Robertson

*Slater's Trade Directory for Manchester & Salford, 1911 page 2136

5 comments:

  1. I thought that the Northers had been demolished many years ago.

    ReplyDelete
  2. My mum was there in the 80s for a stomach operation. It was a good hospital and she got the best treatment. I used to go from work and the manager of the local taxi company gave me a 50 percent discount to get home. Can you imagine that these days? Jxx

    ReplyDelete
  3. That isnt the Northern Hospital, it was much further up Cheetham Hill and on the other side of the Road. It was knocked down in the mid nineties.

    ReplyDelete
  4. From looking at old maps there were 2 sites that Manchester Northern hospital was located. One as stated above and the other to the right of Shirley St.

    ReplyDelete