Thursday 19 April 2018

The day a bit of Glasgow came to Chorlton ........ Charles Rennie Mackintosh

Now it will be almost 40 years ago that in a conversation with a chap at work I discovered we had a mutual liking for the work of Charles Rennie Mackintosh, the Scottish architect designer and artist.

If I am honest I had only come across his work a few weeks before, while Ian and his wife were embarking on a project to transform their home in the style of Mackintosh.

We were both surprised and pleased at the link and spent many lunch times swapping pictures of his water colours, designs for chairs even buildings.

At the time I was already under the influence of William Morris and also the art work of Walter Crane, and so Mackintosh’s work was a natural progression.

And in the course of the last few years I have come across quite a few people who also have a fascination for his work.

So I wasn’t over surprised when Peter told me he had made a special visit to the Glasgow School of Art which Mackintosh designed or that he had designed a postcard in homage to the man.

Here is that postcard which will be on sale at Chorlton Bookshop.

And that is all I am going to say.  I could of course write lots about Mr Mackintosh’s life and work, but anyone can find that out and will have fun doing so.

Postcard; Homage to Charles Rennie Mackintosh. Red Rose. © Peter Topping 2018

No comments:

Post a Comment