Monday 16 April 2018

For the Friends of Barlow Moor Road .......

Now I know I should get out more.

And so with that thought in mind I decided to renew my subscription to the Friends of Barlow Moor Road [Chorlton Branch] with a short stroll from Chorlton Brook down to Kemp’s Corner, which now goes under the official title of Chorlton Cross, but everyone calls the Four Banks.

I was pleased to see that the M&S store was where I left it, although oldies like me may just associate M&S with the Manchester & Salford Co-op, but that is just me showing off.

However the news from that fast food place opposite, is that it was all fenced off and appeared to be going through a makeover.

I suppose if I checked the City Council Planning Portal I would find the details but that I will leave to others.

Instead I shall dwell on those changes to Morely Cheeks, that bar with the unusual name.

It had once "been Argyles as well as a bank, but had started out as a branch of T. Seymour Mead the grocery chain. But there is a sort of logic in that odd name because the original Morley Cheek’s was named after the Reverend Nicholas Morley Cheek ,who was appointed to our own St Clements parish church in 1791, and remained in place till his death in 1805. That said, he appointed in quick succession two stipendiary curates to oversee St Clement’s, while he went off to build St Stephen’s Church in Salford". *

There is more but you will have to look it up in Manchester Pubs The Stories Behind the Doors Chorlton-cum-Hardy, which Peter and I published last year.**

At the time we commented that “even the Reverend will not survive the makeover at Morley Cheek’s, which as well as a refurbishment will soon see the bar change its name”.

At the time we were told it would be in a few months, but that seemed to have been delayed for almost a year, but as I passed last week it is in full swing.  Regulars may wonder at the plight of the night safe which was retained from its time as a bank will survive.

We shall see.
Leaving me to suggest you compare Peter’s paintings with the finished alterations to both MacDonald’s and the bar.

Painting; McDonalds Chorlton. Painting © 2016 Peter Topping, & Morley Cheek Chorlton. Painting © 2017 Peter Topping, Paintings from Pictures.
Web: www.paintingsfrompictures.co.uk
Facebook:  Paintings from Pictures

*Manchester Pubs The Stories Behind the Doors Chorlton-cum-Hardy, Andrew Simpson & Peter Topping, 2017

**A new book on the pubs and bars of Chorlton, https://chorltonhistory.blogspot.co.uk/search/label/A%20new%20book%20on%20Chorlton%20Pubs%20and%20bars


No comments:

Post a Comment