Monday 11 June 2018

Somewhere .......... a misplaced picture from 1978

Now this is a perfect example of how not to take a picture.

Or more accurately how to catalogue an image.

I think it is Ashton-Under-Lyne, but could equally be Chorlton-cum-Hardy.

Back in 1978 I took a lot of pictures which I never bothered to print.  They remained negatives which with the passage of time and the end of my dark room sat in the cellar, neglected but not quite forgotten.

But with Christmas came a scanner which can turn them into an electronic image.

I have to say looking at the random group that have come out of the shadows, they are a mixed bag.  Many I remember taking, others are now just a mystery.

Added to which I was not always that good at developed the film and so some are over exposed and others very dark, but they are all a record of a lost time.

Like this one which could be Ashton or Chorlton, or somewhere else.

Location; I don’t know

Picture; back alley, 1978, from the collection of Andrew Simpson

3 comments:

  1. Been there done that Andrew. I took b&W photos in the early 1970's and have loads of negatives which I have scanned now (every one, even the rubbish ones) My solution (if you can call it that) is that the negs are in groups of six so I look at the other pics to see if I recognise where I took them and what time, and try to match them. This completely fails as the cost of film was such that I only took one picture then left the camera for weeks before I took another. I don't really have to tell you this as you are a bit of a detective anyway from all the blogs I have seen from you.
    Your pic of a back entry looks a lot like my childhood entry.
    Thakns for all your blogs.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Eric ... alas in some cases the strips of negatives have got mixed up!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thought that may be the case. I did my own developing and printing back then so I kept the negs in some sort of order.

    ReplyDelete